Sunday, September 21, 2008

Colorado Update

I haven't been as good as I wanted to be about updating this blog. But there has been ALOT going on. My Mom remains in ICU on life support. She had a few incidents yesterday where she thrashed and her numbers became elevated. The doctors decided to do a CAT scan. It was determined that she had fluid in her chest cavity that had collapsed her right lung. With the aid of another CAT scan, a surgeon was able to insert a chest tube and remove 20oz of fluid and reinflate the lung. They are still waiting to find out if the fluid contains bacteria, but I was told it looked pretty clear.

The doctors have reduced the use of the ventilator so that Mom is doing more of the breathing on her own. They will continue to reduce the amount of work that the ventilator does and therefore increase what Mom is doing. If all goes as planned, they will turn off the ventilator at some point tomorrow and see if she can breathe on her own. If after 1 or 2 hours, she is doing OK, then they will remove the tube. We are praying for this!!

I need my Mom. I was starting to give up hope until this news today. I'm still afraid but I am daring to hope again that she is going to recover. I feel like God had us find Community Covenant Church and establish relationships with so many wonderful people there back in May as ameans of supporting us now. Our other friends have been wonderfully supportive too. I don't think I would have kept it together this long if not for them. :) Of course Jeff is the first person I lean on, but sometimes I've just needed someone who's a little more sensitive, you know how us girls are. Part of me felt like we found this church as support, then Mom got to visit my brother Doug and his family in mid-August and then our visit at the end of August and into September might have been God's way of us having us see her and spend time with her before he took her home. I know she could still pass away and that terrifies me. I'm just using this blog to share how I feel.

Keep praying for a miracle!!!

No comments: