Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Colorado Update

As I write this, my Mother lays in a medically induced coma in the ICU on a ventilator, hands in restraints and fighting a serious case of bacterial pneumonia. She will also be getting a feeding tube as soon as she is stable.

How did this happen you ask. So suddenly is my answer. Friday night, she came down with a fever that shot up to 104 in just a matter of hours. Saturday morning she was feeling better, had a shower and a light breakfast. By 11:30am, it was clear to me that she needed to be in the ER. She was shivering, it hurt to lay on her right side and she complained that she couldn't take a deep breath. I told her that she had pneumonia. She didn't agree but was really in no condition to argue. So my Father took her to the urgent care clinic. They evaluated her and sent her by ambulance to the ER. She was quickly admitted to the ICU. She has continued to deteriorate rapidly. Every time the phone rings and it's the hospital it is more bad news.

One bright spot is that the Doctors and Nurses are wonderful. They have been giving wonderful care to her and have been so kind and taken the time to talk to us at length and answer all of our questions. So thank you!

Right now it is more of wait-n-see. I'm not so good at that. Please continue to pray for Mom, for my Dad, and for me. I am here visiting still with our kids. They, mostly Lily, are having a difficult time processing what is going on. They all understand that Nana & Papa aren't here and Lily has been told more of what is going on. I think she understands how serious this is.

Uncle Mark came to see us tonight. He was a wonderful distraction and it was good for all of us to get to spend some more time visiting with him. Thanks Mark!!

I am still going home on Thursday as planned per my Father's request. There is really nothing more I can do here and I think he needs some time to himself to process in his own was what is going on and how to deal with it.

No comments: